Friday, April 27, 2012

Hair Slips:Co-Washing transitioning hair



Co-washing is a popular topic around the natural blog community and even on relaxed hair blogs. I've never considered co-washing until now. I guess the reason I never did it was because I'm just used to my routine but now I'm embracing it because I feel it'll be something that will help reduce breakage during my transition. I've done it twice so far and love it. I've decided that I'm going to co-wash at least 1-2 times per week and only shampoo 1 -2 times per month depending on how my hair feels. 



So, why co-wash versus shampooing and then using a conditioner....well most people co-wash because shampoo tend to strip the hair of its natural oils along with product build up. If you shampoo to often even with conditioner you hair will be dry all the time especially relaxed or damaged hair. Most conditioners not only clean the hair but moisturize it as well. So, its like getting the best of both worlds. The good thing is that some of the cheaper brand conditioners are silicone and paraben free so that's a plus for most naturals that are against having those chemicals in their hair products. They also contain only the good alcohols so another plus for most. I haven't decided what cheapo brand I will use for my co-washes but here's a list of frequently reviewed conditioners for co-washing from several blogs I read:

VO5
Herbal Essence
Sauve Naturals
Tresemme Naturals

I'm a little weird about using cheapo brands because you usually get what you pay for but I'm willing to try them out because I hate to use a more expensive brand for co-washing several times a week. Anywhoo...loves. I hope this is helpful. Here are a links of a blog with info on co-washing:

Curly Nikki
http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/11/are-you-down-with-co-washing.html

Happy Transitioning!!!

Monique



No comments:

Post a Comment